What’s New in DITAToo 2017 R1
DITAToo 2017 R1 introduces support for a distributed architecture, adds more features for link management and DITAToo Virtual Drive, re-arranges the menus in DITAToo Author, improves the user experience, and provides fixes to the issues encountered in previous versions.
Want to try it out: Request a Trial or send your contact details for a call.
New Features in DITAToo 2017 R1
The DITAToo distributed architecture is designed to provide teams located in different parts of the world with a lag-free communication with the DITAToo repository.
For each team, their own repository is set up. For example, if the team is based in the USA, The Netherlands, and India, three repositories are set up on the premises of each team, one repository per location. Each team will work with the repository that is closest to their geographical location.
In addition, a synchronization server is set up. This server ensures that all local teams are working with the same data. Therefore, instead of connecting to a remote repository and inevitably experience communication lags, each team connects to their local repository while the synchronization server continuously synchronizes all local repositories.
For more information, contact us at email@example.com
Search for Unreferenced Files
You can now easily find files that are not referenced by any topic or project. These orphan files may just occupy space in your repository so finding the content that is not actually used anywhere might be very useful.
For more information, see Searching for Unreferenced Files in DITAToo User Guide.
Search for Broken Links
You can now find broken links in topics and projects. DITAToo also displays the name of the non-existing file.
For more information, see Searching for Broken Links in DITAToo User Guide.
Search for Outgoing Links
You can now view a list of files to which a topic or project refers. If an outgoing link is broken, the Title column in the Search Results pane displays “Broken Link”, and the entire row is highlighted with pink.
For more information, see Searching for Outgoing Links in DITAToo User Guide.
Checking Checked-Out Files on Exiting DITAToo
When you close DITAToo Author, DITAToo checks whether there are any files that are still checked out by you. If there are such files, DITAToo displays a warning and lets you check in the files. You can enable or disable this check in preferences.
Displaying Keyref’s in Preview
If a topic uses @keyref attribute in any element, in Preview the name of the @keyref is now displayed.
Dragging-and-Dropping Topics to Projects
You can now drag-and-drop topics to projects, including dragging-and-dropping from the Search Results pane.
Assigning File to a User in DITAToo Virtual Drive
You can now assign a file to a DITAToo user in the DITAToo’s context menu integrated into Windows File Explorer.
For more information, see Assigning a File to a DITAToo User in DITAToo Virtual Drive User Guide.
Switching Languages in DITAToo Virtual Drive
If you have translations in the repository, you can access translations by switching the language. After the language is changed, all files on DITAToo Virtual Drive are available on the specified language. If a translation in the specified language is missing for a file, the file is displayed in the source language.
This capability is especially useful if you want to download or upload multiple translations at once. DITAToo Virtual Drive enables you to write a batch script that programmatically performs download and upload operations.
For more information, see Switching the Language in DITAToo Virtual Drive User Guide.
Displaying SVG Images in Preview
If a topic includes an SVG image, the image is now correctly displayed in the Preview window.
Dismissing “Translation needs update” Notification for Multiple Topics
Earlier, you could dismiss the “Translation needs update” notification only for one topic at once. Now DITAToo lets you dismiss this notification for multiple topics at once.
Putting Deleted Files to Trash Bin
Like in Windows, the files you delete in DITAToo, are not deleted forever and can be restored, if necessary. DITAToo now puts all deleted files to the Trash Bin. The files in the Trash Bin can be restored or purged.
The following list includes major fixes done in DITAToo 2017 R1:
- You can now specify a folder in the DITAToo Virtual Drive as the output target when publishing from DITAToo through DITA Open Toolkit (DITA OT) without having to modify the location of temporary files generated by DITA OT.
- You can now download a project’s translation even if the DITA map has not been translated yet.
- DITAToo now does not allow creating a user with the existing name, but a different casing.
- Multiple fixes for the relationship table editor. For example, earlier, DITAToo modified the relcolspec element removing the @linking attribute and all other attributes saved for Type.
- Earlier, if a translation zip was uploaded and its folder structure contained an error, the workflow status was still changed to Translation Uploaded. Now DITAToo does not change the workflow status if the translation upload failed.
- DITAToo now properly handles Unicode characters in workflow states and tags.
- The Word to DITA conversion algorithm was significantly improved.
- Compatibility with CentOS and other Linux-based servers was improved.
Known Issues and Limitations
- DITA Open Toolkit 1.7 or below is required for running preview within DITAToo. However, any version of DITA Open Toolkit can be used for publishing.
- You cannot set DITAToo Virtual Drive as local workspace.